If the 2020 Presidential Election were held today, it would come down to Wisconsin. The GOP lost control of the State government there last month, but that isn’t stopping them from using their “lame duck” session to forward a comprehensive voter suppression package. It will pass in less than 48 hours unless we draw national attention to this right now.
Aside from this Washington Post article, press coverage has been woefully inadequate because they moved on this Friday evening. (Because that’s when you announce things you want to bury in the news cycle.) They will vote tomorrow.
Indivisible Madison is hosting a protest about this at 5:30pm local time today. Let’s get the word out.
Also, please ask yourself:
- Who do you know in Wisconsin who can make a stink about this? Put boots on the ground? Make phone calls?
- UPDATE: My friends at Indivisible Madison tell me that Wisconsin residents can call the Legislative Hotline toll-free at 1-800-362-9472 to ID their state senator. They should call that office or leave a message with the hotline. Their talking point should be that elected officials must respect the recent election results that took power away from the GOP. People before party.
- UPDATE: My friends on the ground tell me that there are 5 GOP Senators whose votes will determine whether this gets through or not. They are Rob Cowles of Green Bay, Dan Feyen of Fond du Lac, Luther Olsen of Ripon, Jerry Petrowski of Marathon and Patrick Testin of Stevens Point. (More detailed local news coverage here.)
- UPDATE: The Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) and Leaders Igniting Transformation (LIT) groups centered in in Milwaukee have released this graphic and call to action: https://twitter.com/litmke/status/1069668991365406720?s=21
- UPDATE: My friends at the Committee on Governmental Integrity in Milwaukee are holding a town hall about this at 5:30 local time tonight.
- Who do you know in the national press that should be reporting on this right now and isn’t?
- Who do you know at local or national organizations who has a mailing list and can send out a blast about this today?
Let’s not kid ourselves. Even with the Mueller investigation picking up steam and control of the House changing hands, democracy is hanging on by a thread. It’s entirely possible Trump (or Pence) could get four more years because of this.
We have work to do. Today.